Tuesday 27 December 2011

2011: Part 3 - New Places

Part 3 - Saw a lot of new adventures and places

Adelaide
I made a promise to Susannah after she left Perth that I would be going to her fashion parade for her latest label Saccharine Desolation, I had a sneak preview in Perth and was quite excited to get to see it in person plus get a chance to go back to Adelaide.  Two years later, I was back in Adelaide, although this time longer for 12 hours.

After 6 weeks of me and Susannah not being able to see each other, it was probably one of the most emotional days of my life to finally see her at the airport as the long distance relationship was killing us both but we both persisted and we were still strongly in love by the time we met at the airport.  We were just so glad and happy to see each other on Friday night and it was such an amazing and happy night that we could spend together where I finally got to see where she lived.

The next day it was off for her last minute work for Saccharine Desolation and then off to the show which was spectacular to see in real life, I got to meet her friends, probably not the best chance to meet them since most of them were keen to congratulate Susannah and I looked like shit since Susannah wanted to do my hair and makeup which didn't happen that day in the end.  We celebrated by raving and having a nice relaxing day together, although it was short lived due to an incredible job opportunity.

A Foot (slammed) in the Door
In year 2 of the accounting degree, the main goal is to get vacation work, since 90% of hires after graduation are via vacation work.  After a lot of applications including one company who kept crapping on about work and work experience and barely giving any space to show any of it off, only one said yes, which was strange despite my background in finance and top grades I thought I would get more but either way I had one which meant I had to leave early for.

Anyways, had the first test, which were 3 tests, a super speedy maths, logic and english test, I think I had it nailed, saw around 5000 applications, whittled down to 100 for these tests then I qualified to the last round of around 20 applicants.  Took part in a group challenge which I felt I dominated and lead the way and then a final interviewed which I think went against me a bit with a few questions which I felt put me on the spot, in the end, I didn't get work, when I asked why, they said a points decision saying I was close and we had a lot of talent but we decided but points and you just missed out.  This was a hugely depressing and I was seriously starting to question if I really was going to get work out of this degree.

Hairlucination - A Final Fairwell
For those who knew me before 2011, I was known a bit in the alternative scene for my work with Hairlucination, making dreadfalls, cyberlox and the like.  I had an interesting opportunity to work with Antonio Sorgiovanni, world championship hairdresser who wanted to work with me on Australia's Got Talent.  Huge opportunity that went quite immensely well and he was quite an awesome guy who saw a lot of potential and interest in me and wanted to help me out where possible.

I went to the show and was pretty amazed, you had a show virtually filled with dancers and singers and you have this guy pulling a hairdressing act, it actually worked and I was quite impressed with what he did.  He got through the next round and while getting on TV was a good experience it didn't add too much in the end.

As it turns out, later in the year, big name Rivet Licker quit making dreads, well known as the best dread maker in all of Australia, when I found out she was struggling and couldn't sell dreads and quit, I feel like I made the right decision, especially when I had too much on my plate with uni and all my other jobs plus Neko Nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment