Friday 30 December 2011

2011: Part 10 - Neko Nation vs. Australia

Part 10 - Neko Nation finally went for three shows over five weeks, the results ended up being quite interesting.

Adelaide
To be back for a second show was going to be interesting we were expecting some pretty epic success due to the number of tickets we sold at AV-Con, it was great to be putting another show on in Adelaide with the success of the last one and this night we believe we had somewhat gotten to work better overall.


For me the highlight was just the fact it was the first Neko Nation night I could enjoy, it ran rather flawlessly in terms of me needing to interfere and I could actually enjoy the night as an actual punter for once at the event which was a lot of fun.  It was after this night I realised that we had something pretty special here that we could really start taking around Australia.

While the night went really well, the only downside was dealing with the venue which meant we were forced to move to a new venue for our next Adelaide show.

Perth
It was awesome to be back in Perth to launch the tour and to launch the first v2.0 show, this was our first show with the stage and projector setup (which got brought to a whole new level at the Adelaide 2011 finale).  It was by far our best show yet in terms of production quality and it was one blast of a night, including our first after party as well at Game City which was quite fun while I was awake.

The rest of the Perth trip was fun, Susannah had a pretty sexy photo shoot with Kerry Anne which was great, we had meetings with Attitude Oz to get involved in Miss Alternative and got invited to a Wai-Con meeting, so we were more than certainly having our hands full, although I really enjoyed the catch ups with Eugene and Arty though which was really sweet, there was dramu on the last day but overall Perth was fun even though I had no free time to hang out with my Perth friends though.  X.x

Melbourne
Me and Melbourne are never going to get along and the last trip really proved that Melbourne has this habit of wanting to eat me alive.  Anyways, arrived in town after a pretty horrific drive which saw driving in low light with monsoon like weather, understeering and honestly, I think we were pretty luck not to crash, not that Melbourne drivers weren't trying to run into me, my god I didn't think any city could drive worse than Perth but I was proven wrong.

Neko Nation Melbourne flopped hard, a lot of things went wrong but overall we just had low attendance figures, which started a lot of problems in terms of the night being shut down early and causing a lot of problems.  Unfortunately to this day while we've worked out a few things we can do to help make it work better next time, unless I'm seriously proven wrong, Neko Nation just doesn't work in Melbourne.

In short, I don't hate Melbourne for everything that has happened to me but I obviously can't get excited due to all the problems and bad trips I've had there, I won't go on and on but bad shit always happens to me in Melbourne and I just haven't exactly seen what all the hype is about with Melbourne since all the best parts people tell me about Melbourne I've seen and done in Asian cities, such as the shopping and general exploring and wandering around.

No comments:

Post a Comment