Monday 30 July 2012

Neko Nation AVCon and beyond

It's finally been done, Neko Nation AVCon has come and gone and my god was it a huge epic massive show.  For those who went, massive thanks, there were a lot of you, from what I heard, we got 700 people there, so it was an absolutely amazing turnout!  This included interstate guests such as awesome J-Core producer, Noc.V, awesome Sydney, go-go dancers, Rachel and Mellie, plus plenty of awesome people who showed up, was absolutely amazing to see a whole bunch of new face as well as our regulars too.

On my end it was quite an interesting show, doing something at the convention was quite mindblowing due to the sheer size and opening up to the AVCon crowd.  We had a huge challenge setting up, believe it or not one of our biggest challenges was to just to find tables to put all the DJ gear on since we had so much and trying to get a table through the crowd was a nightmare but we sorted it all out and after that it all ran quite well.  It was probably one of the most tiring events ever, I was starting to fall asleep by 10pm, in comparison, our Melbourne show doesn't open doors till 10pm!

Neko Nation wasn't the only thing that happened and this year was my first year I got to fully check out AVCon and look bias of working for AVCon aside, it's by far the best con in Australia, it's slickly run, there's an overload of entertainment visually, stalls, cosplay, interactivity, gaming, panels, AVCon is a complex show and it's the only con I find myself kicking myself I didn't get to do everything I wanted to do, so mega kudos to AVCon.  I know the team work so hard and it's quite a fair bit ahead of all the other cons in Australia in terms of all the fun I had, although I'm hoping to check out SMASH since I heard it is up there in terms of the only major anime convention I'm yet to run.

I'm in a bizarre state of my life right now, I'm more or less coming down from an awesome convention, awesome friends leaving and getting back into all my uni stuff.  It's likely Neko Nation will be taking a bit of a back seat in my life for the rest of the year, things will pale in comparison to AVCon, since I think my biggest motivation is in terms of what I have achieved with Neko Nation and it's going to be hard to top AVCon but I feel like I could bring on some pretty exciting new shows and concepts, Perth has Maid Latte and Byte Nyte involved, Adelaide has Mischief the Cat playing and should be even more epic than ever this time around.

My new focus will be on uni, after weeks of dramu and being thrown into the deep end with my course, it's been tricky to stay above the surface after having moved house and thrown two Neko Nations this week.  To get through the end of this month, with the success that has happened is quite something, with that said, some pretty nasty shit has happened along the way and sacrifices have been made but nonetheless, I've survived it.

I'm looking forward to seeing what I can achieve with marketing and advertising, I absolutely hate how I must prove my skills, since I believe that success in the working world comes from applying experience and practical examples rather than trying to quote academic journals but I'm happy to take on the challenge and see how things go.  If all goes well, then I'm hoping to get two brand new non-Neko Nation events announced and worked on for later in the year!  ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment